HCIC Company Overview
Health Care Information Consultants, LLC (HCIC), a Baltimore-based, women-owned business, has been helping healthcare providers with information needs for 25 years. We provide experienced professionals who collaborate with healthcare clients to plan and implement the appropriate technologies for solutions to integrated, patient-centered, efficient, and coordinated healthcare.
Of significance is the fact that many of our client relationships are longstanding ones, as evidenced by the fact that the majority of our business comes from repeat client engagements.
Our resources are accomplished healthcare IT professionals, each with 20+ years' of progressive multi-disciplinary healthcare management and consulting experience in a variety of healthcare information system settings, including government agencies, large prime integration companies, large multi-state healthcare organizations, community hospitals, ambulatory care settings, home care agencies, long-term care facilities, and healthcare systems vendors. Our consulting team includes former CIOs, healthcare and financial planners, process redesign specialists, nurses and physicians.
We combine these extensive years of experience and industry leadership with a focus on your unique business issues, respect for your mission, and an overriding commitment to your success. All engagements include participation by our principals and senior-level associates and consultants. Our expertise is in understanding the dynamics of complex health care organizations, developing strategies for achieving organizational objectives and managing the implementation of those strategies.
HCIC’s comprehensive array of services includes:
- Meaningful Use – HCIC has assisted dozens of physician practices and a number of hospitals in qualifying for ARRA Meaningful Use by performing readiness assessments, gap analyses, audits, and preparing “Evidence Books” to conform to audit requirements.
- Transitional Management - HCIC has assisted numerous organizations in making the transition from one leadership team to another, or from one systems environment to another. We provided interim CIO leadership to over a dozen institutions, helping them establish a firm structural foundation on which they can build for the future. In these engagements, we have established steering committees and governance processes; worked to develop standard methodologies for system selection and support; reviewed and adjusted staffing levels; and facilitated the transition to permanent leadership. Since cultural change is a key component of organizational development, we as transitional leaders can effect this change much more quickly than can a permanent leader, and we can leave behind a structure that can allow a new leader to succeed.
- Enterprise IT Strategic and Business Planning – Using a value-based and cooperative process, we work with your organization to link technology to business priorities and layout costs, benefits, risks, prerequisites, priorities and timing.
- Organizational and Operational Readiness Assessment – HCIC conducts readiness assessments to determine whether your organization has all the elements in place to successfully complete a specific information systems project.
- Best Practices Assessment – Through our experience with the Davies Award Committee and our years of industry experience, we have compiled reference materials of “best practices” for system implementations and clinical transformation efforts. We compare your organization’s efforts to these recognized best practices, identify gaps, and recommend specific action steps to improve program and project execution.
- Program/Project Management – HCIC has extensive experience managing projects and major programs. Our philosophy is to provide proven, comprehensive methodologies and seasoned management expertise to allow our client to leverage and educate their own internal staff.
- IT Market Research and Analysis – HCIC has assisted suppliers to the healthcare industry uncover new revenue opportunities, capitalize on emerging business trends and demonstrate the value of their offering to the healthcare marketplace. Important to note is that several of these same services are also inherent in our strategic and business planning, system selection, benefit/ROI analysis and Health Information Exchange (HIE) offerings.
- Break-Through Strategies - Unique value propositions, product and service positioning, new markets, innovation roll-out
- 3rd Party ROI Validation – Business case analysis, tangible and intangible metrics, functional and technical evaluation, comparison to competitive offerings
- Value Driven Sales Model - Sales force efficiency and effectiveness, strategic partnership, sales channel development, ROI education, customer profile, value add strategies
- Launch for those New to Healthcare - “C” level contacts and market research, product feasibility and positioning, rollout planning
- Think Tanks, Interim Leadership, Education for Sales Teams or Clients.
- Clinical Systems and Electronic Health Records – Our consultants are industry experts with “real-world” experience in the following areas: value from systems such as:
- Electronic Medical/Health Records (EHR/EMR) for hospitals, clinics and physical offices and personal health records
- Order Management, CPOE and Clinical Decision Support
- Charting and Clinical Documentation
- Pharmacy, ePrescribing and closed-loop Medication Management
- Operating Room and Anesthesiology
- Labor and Delivery, Critical Care, and Cardiology
- Emergency Room
- Home Health, Long Term Care, Hospice, Behavioral Health, Wellness Centers
- Enterprise Registration and Scheduling.
We are national and regional leaders in healthcare executive and healthcare information technology associations including the Healthcare Information & Management Systems Society, American Medical Informatics Association, Healthcare Financial Management Association, Health Level Seven and others.
In addition, our company works closely with the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) in reviewing applicants for the Davies Award. The Nicholas E. Davies EHR Recognition Program, sponsored by HIMSS, encourages and recognizes excellence in the implementation of EHR systems. The program recognizes healthcare provider organizations that successfully use EHR systems to improve healthcare delivery. HCIC’s involvement with this program assures that we are aware of, and communicating with, innovators across the country achieving success in the deployment of information technology, both at the organizational and at the community level.
Since its inception, HCIC has been a virtual corporation, taking advantage of the Internet and telecommunications technology to keep our overhead costs very low. HCIC has no employees and no payroll. All work performed is with our associates, subcontractors and business partners. We create agreements with our clients where we agree to provide a specified set of services and deliverables, and specify the associates/subcontractors/business partners that we plan to use. HCIC is a limited liability corporation (LLC) with four members and a number of associates and business partner organizations with expertise in various aspects of the health care industry. In summary, our experience and business model enable us to “hit the ground running”.
HCIC offers a unique approach:
- We understand the healthcare environment and the continuum of care.
- We believe that investments in IT should add value to the organization.
- We efficiently deliver our services, tailored to the organization, to achieve their desired outcomes and to deliver the anticipated value.